Project - Controller Outputs
This past week I did some initial testing of ChucK using the example files provided by the program, and verified the outputs of the off-brand X-Box controller could be read by ChucK. I first tested the device's ability to generate midi sounds from the keyboard inputs, to ensure that the audio on the device was functioning. I was unable to get sound to play through headphones during the sessions, so tested subsequently without additional audio devices.
I first used the command line to "--probe" ChucK to see the list of devices, and verified that the off-brand X-Box controller I'd plugged in via USB cable was registering in the system. I used the basic joystick controller example to begin reading output from the controller. Unexpected, though in hind sight very predictable, was that while the controller buttons had a single "on" or "off" state, the joysticks and triggers had a very rapidly changing range of values. These were initially read from the "joy.ck" file example, and a list of the button numbers & their outputs was compiled for ease of future programming.

Comments
Post a Comment